Effective February 1, 2017, the Pediatric Symptom Checklist-17 (PSC-17) may be used for adolescent mental health screening conducted during a Texas Health Steps checkup.
Screening for behavioral, social, and emotional development is required at each THSteps checkup. An additional mental health screen is required once for patients between the ages of 12 and 18. The approved screening tools are listed below:
- Pediatric Symptom Checklist (PSC-35)
- Pediatric Symptom Checklist-17 (PSC-17)
- Pediatric Symptom Checklist for Youth (Y-PSC)
- Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9)
- Car, Relax, Alone, Forget, Family, and Trouble Checklist (CRAFFT)
The approved tools can be downloaded and used at no cost to the provider.
More information on THSteps checkups and adolescent mental health screening requirements is available on the THSteps website.