Texas Health Steps: Overview - 2011
Welcome to the online training that presents an overview of Texas Health Steps developed by the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) in partnership with the Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC).
The goal of this module is to introduce Texas Health Steps providers and others who care for pediatric and adolescent patients to the Texas Health Steps Medicaid benefit program. Upon completion, providers should recognize provider requirements, components of a checkup, appropriate referrals, and services requiring prior authorization.
Texas Health Steps providers and other interested health-care professionals.
- Choose two goals of the Texas Health Steps Medicaid program.
- Choose the five federally required components of a Texas Health Steps checkup.
- Differentiate between three services, besides checkups, that are provided by Texas Health Steps.
- Choose three qualifications necessary for providers to be eligible to participate in the Texas Health Steps program.
- Choose one limitation to Texas Health Steps eligibility.
- Differentiate between three circumstances when Texas Health Steps patients should be referred for additional equipment or service.
- Recognize if a service requires prior authorization.
- Recognize three services available to Texas Health Steps patients in Rural Health Clinics.
A message from HHSC
Thank you for your interest in Texas Health Steps. Many of these modules include specific Medicaid or Texas Health Steps policy. Participants should be aware that policy is periodically re-evaluated and that any changes made are published in either banner messages, bulletins, or on the Texas Medicaid & Healthcare Partnership (TMHP) website throughout the calendar year. Published policy from the most current source is the policy in effect for Medicaid and Texas Health Steps. Visit the TMHP website for more information.
This module includes a pre- and post-test. Both tests need to be completed for you to receive a certificate of completion, and you must score a 75 percent on the post-test to pass. After you complete the post-test, you will be asked to evaluate your training experience, and you will be provided with information about securing continuing education credit. Completion of this course (all lessons must be passed or completed) will earn credit toward the following certificate(s); click below for your certificate.