Teen Consent and Confidentiality
Welcome to the training on Teen Consent and Confidentiality provided by the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) and the Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC).
The goal of this module is to educate Texas Health Steps providers and other interested health-care professionals about the role that consent and confidentiality play in teens’ access to health care and how to comply with legal protections of consent and confidentiality in the delivery of health care to teen patients.
Texas Health Steps providers and other interested health-care providers.
Specific Learning Objectives
After completing the activities of this module, you will be able to:
- Recognize one important benefit of ensuring confidentiality in the care of patients.
- Given a case study, apply the ethical principle of seeking patient assent.
- Choose three categories of individuals who have the legal right to consent to a young person's health-care treatment in an emergency.
- Determine one individual, other than the one usually responsible for consenting to a youth's health care, who may provide consent to a youth's treatment.
- Given a case study, choose two situations in which a young person may consent to his or her own treatment.
- Select one requirement of Texas law regarding the provision of family planning services to a teen.
- Specify an example of effective communication to help reassure a young person about confidentiality related to health-care matters.
- Identify one way to practice cultural competence within the framework of medical ethics.
- Apply one guideline for decision-making when posed with an ethical dilemma in the course of treating a patient.
- Indicate one requirement of Texas law related to reporting the suspected abuse of a young person.
This module includes a pre-test, post-test, and course evaluation. You must take the ungraded pre-test before beginning the course. After completing the course, you must take a post-test and score at least 75 percent to pass. After passing the post-test and completing the course evaluation, you will be able to print a certificate of completion.