Welcome to the training on Wheezing: When to Refer provided by the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) and the Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC).
The goal of this module is to educate Texas Health Steps providers and others who care for pediatric and adolescent patients about identifying and treating the pulmonary causes of wheezing. Providers will be able to identify patients to refer for consultation, diagnosis, and treatment by a pediatric pulmonologist or allergist/immunologist, when warranted.
Texas Health Steps providers and other interested health-care professionals.
Specific Learning Objectives
After completing the activities of this module, you will be able to:
- Differentiate between the most common origins of wheezing in three age groups.
- Distinguish two factors obtained in the patient's history that make the diagnosis of asthma less likely.
- Employ the Asthma Predictive Index to help assess whether a child with recurrent wheezing will develop asthma.
- Specify three risk factors for transient early wheezing.
- Indicate two characteristic patient profiles seen in non-atopic persistent wheezing.
- Specify two potential diagnostic studies to consider in the evaluation of a vascular ring.
- Distinguish between two conditions associated with dysphagia and aspiration.
- Determine the correct evaluation of a child with suspected foreign body aspiration.
- Indicate one condition associated with tracheomalacia and bronchomalacia.
- Specify one indication for referral in a patient with asthma.
- Indicate one sign obtained in the history or during the exam that is cause for concern and warrants an expedited evaluation by a pediatric pulmonologist or allergist/immunologist.
Please note this module expires on 6/4/2015.
This module includes a pre-test, post-test, and course evaluation. You must take the pre-test before beginning the course. After completing the course, you must take a post-test and score at least 75 percent to pass. After passing the post-test and completing the course evaluation, you will be able to print a certificate of completion.