References Featured in the Course
- American College of Medical Genetics
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Committee on Genetics. (2011). Committee Opinion No. 481.
- Baby’s First Test. (2013). Find a Condition.
- Davis, T. C., Humiston, S. G., Arnold, C. L., Bocchini, J. A., Jr., Bass, P. F. III, Kennen, E. M., … Lloyd-Puryear, M. (2006). Recommendations for effective newborn screening communication: results of focus groups with parents, providers, and experts. Pediatrics. 117(5 Pt 2):S326–40.
- Gurian, E. A., Kinnamon, D. D., Henry, J. J., & Waisbren, S.E. (2006). Expanded newborn screening for biochemical disorders: the effect of a false-positive result. Pediatrics 117(6), 1915–21.
- Karadag, N., Zenciroglu, A., Eminoglu, F. T., Dilli, D., Karagol, B. S., Kundak, A., Dursun, A., Hakan, N., & Okumus, N. (2013). Literature review and outcome of classic galactosemia diagnosed in the neonatal period. Clinical Laboratory 59(9-10):1139–46.
- March of Dimes. (2012). Quick Reference and Fact Sheets.
- Marsden, D., Larson, C. & Levy, H. L. (2006). Newborn screening for metabolic disorders. The Journal of Pediatrics May;148(5):577-584.
- Raghuveer, T. S., Garg, U. & Graf, W. D. (2006). Inborn errors of metabolism in infancy and early childhood: an update. American Family Physician, Jun 1;73(11):1981–90.
- Tarini, B. A., Christakis, D. A., & Welch H. G. (2006). State newborn screening in the tandem mass spectrometry era: more tests, more false-positive results. Pediatrics 118(2), 448–56.
- Texas Department of State Health Services. (n.d.). ACT and FACT sheets.
- Texas Department of State Health Services. Case Management for Children and Pregnant Women.
- Texas Department of State Health Services. Children With Special Health Care Needs (CSHCN) Services Program.
- Texas Department of State Health Services. Comprehensive Care Program.
- Texas Department of State Health Services. Newborn Screening Laboratory.
- Texas Department of State Health Services. Newborn Screening Program.
- Tluczek, A., Orland, K. M., Nick, S. W., & Brown, R. L. (2009). Newborn Screening: An Appeal for Improved Parent Education. The Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing, J Perinat Neonatal Nurs. 2009 Oct–Dec;23(4): 326–334. doi: 10.1097/JPN.0b013e3181a1bc1f
- Zytkovicz, T.H., Fitzgerald, E.F., Marsden, D., Larson, C.A., Shih, V.E., Johnson, D.M., … Grady G.F. (2001). Tandem mass spectrometric analysis for amino, organic, and fatty acid disorders in newborn dried blood spots: a two-year summary from the New England newborn screening program. Clinical Chemistry 47, 1945–55.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Discretionary Advisory Committee on Heritable Disorders in Newborns and Children. (2013). Recommended Uniform Screening Panel.
Helpful Resources to Share with Patients and Families
- March of Dimes: A Parent’s Guide to Newborn Screening video (English)
- March of Dimes: A Parent’s Guide to Newborn Screening video (Español)
- Texas Department of State Health Services Newborn Screening FACT Sheets
- Newborn Screening Case Management Publications
- Texas Department of State Health Services Newborn Screening. Resources for Parents.
The medical definitions provided in this module were adapted or obtained from American Family Physician and Medline Plus.