HHSC’s Medical Transportation Program (MTP) provides free rides in Texas to eligible patients who have no other means to get to a scheduled medically necessary health-care checkup or exam covered by Medicaid.
Free rides are also available when a patient needs to get to another Medicaid provider, such as a drug store.
MTP services are available to:
- Children and youth birth through 20 years who are enrolled in Texas Health Steps.
- Individuals enrolled in the Children with Special Health Care Needs (CSHCN) Services Program and other eligible state programs.
- Most others who are eligible for Medicaid medical and dental services.
Patients are not eligible for MTP if they:
- Require transport by ambulance, whether emergency or non-emergency.
- Receive direct payment from another facility or program for transportation to health-related services.
- Examples include transportation to or from a day activity health services facility, personal care home, state institution, nursing facility, or facility participating in another Title 19 Program (Medicaid) for which reimbursement includes transportation funds.
- Are in an inpatient health-care facility.
MTP services are available only when a patient requires transportation for a scheduled medically necessary health-care service that is covered by Medicaid. Texas Health Steps periodic medical and dental checkups and diagnostic and treatment services qualify for MTP services.